Saturday 18 August 2012

Prostap - 21st July 2012


I was back at the hospital today for the first step of our first IVF cycle.  My appointment was at 9.20am, and hubby was a nightmare to get up and ready and I was starting to stress a bit that we’d be late!!!  We weren’t though, and even if we had been they were running late anyway (how do you manage to run late just after 9am?!?!?!)  I was eventually taken in about 20 minutes late, and to be honest I wasn’t as keen on the nurse I had this time.
She took me off to another room to do my height, weight and BMI which strangely hadn’t been done before for some reason, as it has a baring on the drugs you receive.  My BMI is way under the limit though (limit is 30 and mine is 23) so that wasn’t something I was worried about anyway.

After that we went back in to where hubby was, and she went through all our consents (again!)  When she got to the page where we’d had to confirm how many embryo’s we wanted put back, she asked why we’d put one and if it was because we definitely didn’t want twins.  I explained that the nurse who had done them with us initially had said she’d recommend one embryo for the first cycle, then if it didn’t work to do two after that, so we were guided by her and that’s why we’d put one and would change it later on if we wanted to.  She said that wasn’t the way she would have explained it to us, and in her opinion the purpose of the form was to say the maximum number of embryo’s we’d have put back at any time, not the number we wanted for our first cycle and she’d change it to two. 

I was a bit annoyed by this, as we were going on what the first nurse told us as we thought we were best being led by them as they know a hell of a lot more about it all than us.  As it stands we would have had one put back and the rest frozen if we had plenty of good quality, and two put back if we didn’t have any for freezing and had two good enough to put back.  The nurse said that in her opinion, not many people have embryo’s for freezing anyway (not what I thought, I’ve heard a lot of people having frosties!!) so it’s better to just go with two going back no matter what.  We agreed to change it to two on the form, but I think we’ll wait and see what happens and how many eggs/embryo’s we end up with then WE’LL make an informed choice without the nurses having input since they seem to differ so much.

Anyway, after that it was just down to the business of sticking the needle in!! lol  The nurse was quite glad when I told her I’d had plenty of injections because of the IUI and heparin after my surgery – wonder how many people they have the hate injections and either pass out or are sick!?!?!?!?  One thing that was different when she did the injection – and something I plan on asking about when I pick up my stimming meds – was that she put it in at a 45oC angle whereas when I was doing my IUI injections I was shown to put them in straight, like a dart.  I’ll clarify it at the next one as I don’t want to be doing them wrong!!  The injection itself was a big stingy, but other than that was totally fine and didn’t even bleed when she took the needle out.  She advised me of all the side effects you could have, which I knew from Dr Google anyway, and off we went home to wait and see what happened next.

S x

No comments:

Post a Comment