Thursday 2 June 2011

Decisions Decisions

The husband and I have been living in our own house for a while now (four and a half years) and it's always been one of our goals to be able to move either before and shortly after we have baby.
Our ideal house is something like this: old detached house, in need of restoration, with a big garden (I will have the veg garden I've always wanted but can't have here) a driveway and either a garage or room for a workshop for hubby to use for his bikes.  Not asking a lot are we?!?!!? 

Our current pass-time is looking on-line for the type of house we're after and going to see them.  So far we've been to see an old church in need of conversion (it's called Walston Kirk in Scotland if anyone fancies a nosey) but it didn't have any garden - although it did come complete with it's own graveyard and a crypt inside it!!  The other house we saw was a little miners cottage in the middle of nowhere.  It needed some serious working doing to it - well when I saw work, it needed rebuilding because half of it had fallen down.  It would have been perfect if it hadn't had two derelict houses quite close to it which belonged to an old man who died.  No-one knows what will happen to them, so the kind of put us off that one (although it had the most amazing garden)
So our hunt will continue for the next while as we continue to save as much as we can to put toward a deposit and of course carry out any work we'd need to do. 

Now here's the decision part!!  I turn 30 next January (how did that happen?) and we had always planned to go on a big holiday to celebrate.  We aren't going to be able to go away this year, so it'd be two years since out last holiday (to amazing Singapore and KL) so we planned on making it a big one.
I have to tell you that my husband is a total holiday snob and refuses to go on "normal" holidays to places like Spain and will only stay in hotels that are 4/5*  The type of holidays we like usually run at around £2-3k for a couple of weeks, which is a lot of money but for something you love it's worth it right?  I would like to be able to move house asap (the area we are in isn't really bad, but I just want to get our ideal house NOW) and now I don't know whether we should just book the holiday as planned, or not bother with a holiday and put the money toward the house (which would be a fairly big boost to the fund.
We are going to be due to start treatment not long after my birthday, so we will plan a weekend away before then to just relax before the roller coaster of IVF starts. 

My head says fore go the holiday and boots the house fund, but then I see holiday adverts and think "oh I want that!!"  Jeez I wish I was better at making decisions!!

Anyone got a magic 8 ball I can borrow?!?!!?!?

S x

No comments:

Post a Comment