Tuesday 20 December 2011

Yet another let down

To be honest I didn't find the increase in drugs too bad, although the 150iu ones did leave bruises and the last 50iu was very painful (which was a shock as I don't normally even feel them!!)  I didn't think I'd over stimulated again because I wasn't feeling too bloated or anything which I was pleased about.

Off we trotted to the FC on Friday for a scan to check the size of the follicles.  The nurse scanned me then said that I had 2 14mm follicles and 2 11mm follicles, and because they weren't big enough she wasn't willing to book me in for IUI on Monday without another scan.  I told her that I always OV around CD12 (which would be Sunday) but she still wouldn't budge on it.

So, Friday night I started getting OV pains.  By Saturday night I'd had quite a few pains and had sore (.)(.)'s so I knew I'd OV'd and that it would be yet another wasted cycle.  On Monday I went back knowing full well that it would be abandoned, and sure enough one of the 14mm follicles had popped, although the other one was still there and was now 19mm.  I did think they would still be able to go ahead with the IUI because I still had a follicle ready and waiting, but apparently not.  I also asked if they could give me something next time so that I didn't OV over a weekend (I'd been told there was something you could be given on a forum I use) but surprise surprise our useless clinic don't do that either.

Having spoken to my friend L who goes to the same clinic and is also having IUI, it seems as though our clinic doesn't do a fraction of the things that other clinics do - our only uses one type of stim drug and one type of trigger when others use several, ours do not offer the option to aspirate follicles if you have more than three to save abandoning cycles all the time because of over stimulating, and now to add to that list they won't give you anything to stop OV if it's over a weekend.  That's another peeve of mine over our clinic - they're closed weekends and close for almost two weeks over Christmas!!!!  Regulating a cycle and having fertility treatment sadly does not work to a time scale, so dictating that you're only allowed to OV Monday to Friday does seem a bit stupid doesn't it?!?!?!

Today also brought bad news for my friend L as AF arrived for her today meaning that her third IUI (she started in May and has only had three successful attempts at IUI) has failed.  She was so sure that it had worked this time that's she's heartbroken.  She's always been convinced that IUI would work for them, whereas I've never thought it would work for us, so each time it fails she takes it really hard.  The good thing is she's been ref'd onto the same IVF clinic as we have so she will be due to start IVF in November next year.

So, at the moment we're in limbo land again and basically just waiting on AF showing up again to go back for a scan to check the remaining follicles are gone before we start on this wonderful cycle again.  Apparently next month I'm being put onto daily injections to try and have the follicles ready before I OV naturally again.  I'm sure that'll be a delight to stick needles in my tummy every day rather than just every other day!!!

Oh well, hope everyone has a Happy Christmas and a brighter New Year, and that the holidays aren't too hard for my fellow LTTTCers.

S x

No comments:

Post a Comment